Thursday, April 28, 2011

Burgers and Shakes and Fried Pickles, Oh My! - STAND

Nothing is more welcoming than a red, white, and blue cow adorned with the stars and stripes. Nor is there anything more American. Trust me, my team and I did the research and the cow to the left one. It's why I have one in my bedroom. That and because he's fun to cuddle with during the cold winter months. 

For a time last year, Stand, which is located right in the heart of the NYU scene, featured this cow to lure people in for burgers and beers and...wait for it....if you guessed milkshakes, pat yourself on the back until you feel that sense of accomplishment that patting yourself on the back can bring. Where were we class? Ah yes, the NYU scene. If you can't hang with that, fear not as school's almost out for summer and for some, school's out forever. 
 
Let's start with the most important thing in your life that you may not know yet, the, as in THE Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake. I know I've been on a rant lately about burgers and shakes and what have you and that's because the abundance of these establishments has watered down the concept to the point of me not wanting to indulge my inner fat kid. Do something different. Give us a reason to think you wanted to make a shake that is not just ice cream in a blender. Give me a reason to want to shift up to a size 34 pants. Give me a toasted marshmallow shake and make it the biggest one you got! Rarely do I go this gaga for anything that's not that lady singer but holy hamburgers this thing is ridiculous.
 
To the left you have the Stand Burger with a pair of fried pickles and some home-made ketchup. According to their menu, the Stand Burger comes as follows:
Specially seasoned beef, red onion, lettuce, tomato, house sauce $10
 
I don't even eat ketchup on my burgers so I end up just doing a shot right out of the little ceramic cup it's held in. Is that a ramekin? I'm not sure but if it is, I'm right about it maybe being a ramekin. If not, well, then you tell me what it's called since I missed all last season of Martha Living. 


Also to the left is their Cheeseburger which features:  
Sesame bun, beef, onion marmalade, lettuce
Choose: blue cheese sauce, cheddar, American or Swiss cheese $10

That particular photo is one w/the onion marmalade and blue cheese sauce. The sauce, also in a ramekin, maybe, was so good that I sipped up whatever didn't get poured onto the burger. Why? For starters it tasted good. Secondly, it embarrasses my mom.

I always go here for the shake. It is the best in town and it always hits the spot, for me. We eat with our eyes, the creators of Stand know this. My eyes love what they see from the shake to the burgers to the fried pickles to kick the meal off. I've been here more times than I can count, so much so that I've get them thinking I'm a PhD student at NYU which doesn't get me far but lying about fancy things makes me feel good.

Rating - 5/5. Always cooked to perfection. Always seasoned perfectly. This is one of my go-to spots. The burgers are top notch and you'd be hard-pressed to find a burger place serving up better shakes.

Stand is conveniently located on E. 12th St. near the corner of University Pl. Click here for their menu

No comments:

Post a Comment