Monday, August 1, 2011

Croxley Ales - Redux

It's rare (no pun intended) that I'll go back to a burger joint and do another review but on occasion there's something that merits not just a revisit, but actually a whole new review. Heck, if I did a review for all my Stand visits you'd think I was stalking someone there. But, the newest review is actually a revisit to Croxley Ales, one week later.

What would warrant such a thing? Simple, the Mac Daddy offered by Croxley Ales. The menu describes the Mac Daddy as "our 1/2 lb burger topped with Mac n Cheese." Now Mac n Cheese can swing a number of different ways and as the review of the now dead WSBS proves that it needn't even have Mac to be Mac n Cheese. Such blatant false advertising should be illegal but in the end, the WSBS paid the piper and is not serving up burgers anymore.

Croxley Ales - Mac Daddy Burger
So, my burning question was, "will this thing even have macaroni?" Which was followed up with,"I wonder if it'll be boxed Mac n Cheese?" Well the moment of truth arrived and behold, in all its splendor, the Mac Daddy.

Let's start with the positives, semi toasted roll = YUM! Burger = cooked perfectly. Mac n Cheese = definitely homemade, definitely delicious, and kudos to whomever choose orecchiette as the Mac. WOW! Sweet potato fries on the side was a nice touch.

The negatives? Well, I'm not sure why there was lettuce, tomato, or onion on there. I ate them all separately and called it my salad - I needed something resembling healthy food since I wolfed down about 30 hot wings plus this monster.

The other negative, the burger and mac n cheese seemed disjointed. They just didn't seem to want to play with one another. I LOVED the mac n cheese. I can't stress that enough. I'd eat that any day of the week and put it up as a stand alone against anything S'mac serves and Croxley will be the winner. But this was not the right fit for the burger. I needed something more cheddar-y and less alfredo-y to deliver here. Would I do this again? I'm not sure. But I do suggest you try it because it's quite a delicious experience all for only $12.95.

Rating - 3.75/5 - the idea is flawless. The execution only slightly flawed. It's big and it's tasty and it's worth a look but there's still room for a true Mac N Cheese burger out there and I'm still on the hunt to see if anyone else can deliver.

For more visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and don't forget to follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys  

No comments:

Post a Comment